Need a passport? Come to the Chamber Home Show at the Community Building on the Boone County Fairgrounds on Saturday, February 25 from 10 to 2 for a special Saturday sign up for passports.
Some things to know to speed up getting your passport
All United States citizens, including newborns, must have a passport when traveling internationally by air.
1. Have the necessary documentation. The major necessary documentation are Proof of Citizenship and Proof of Identity. There are a number of different documents that can be used, depending on if this is the first time apply or if the passport is for a minor. Proof of citizenship includes a previous US passport or a birth certificate for those born inside the US. For those born outside the US, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship will be necessary. Proof of identity includes items like a previous US passport, driver’s license, current government or military ID, or a Naturalization Certificate. These items should have your photo and your signature.
2. Get a passport photo. You will need a passport photo. This is not just a normal photo: it must be a very particular size and you must be clearly visible. The easiest way to get this photo is to go to a place which takes these photos. In Boone, Boone Hardware, HyVee and Walgreens can do passport photos.
3. Fill out the appropriate form. This is form DS-11 in almost all cases. This can be filled in by hand at the place where you submit the form, or online (after which you will need to print it out).
4. Submit form and documentation in person. Unless you are renewing an adult passport, you will usually have to submit your application in-person.
5. Have money for the fee. You will have to pay for your passport and it is relatively expensive, so be prepared. This fee can be paid by check, money order or bank draft. If you only want to travel between the US and Canada or the US and Mexico (and you plan to drive, not fly), then you can get a passport card instead of a passport book. This will be cheaper.
BOONE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACCEPTS PASSPORT APPLICATIONS
|Travel.State.Gov Passport Application Wizard (click here)|
|* Determine which form is right for you|
|* Fill out the correct form online|
|* Estimate your total payment|
Proof of identity must be presented with all passport applications. Acceptable forms of identification include a passport, naturalization certificate, driver’s license, military ID card or other current government-issued ID. A photocopy of the identity documents also must accompany the passport application.
|Passport Fees (click here)|
|* Adult Passport Book and Card (Age 16 Years and Older)|
|* Adult Renewals (Age 16 Years and Older)|
|* All Minor Applicants (Under Age 16)|
|* Optional Services|
|The Application Fee is a non-refundable processing fee and retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued|
|‘Application Fee’ and any ‘Optional Services’ Fees:|
|* Personal checks, money orders, and bank drafts, payable to “Department of State”|
|$25.00 ‘Execution Fee’ Paid Separately:|
|* Cash, personal checks, money orders, and bank drafts, payable to “Boone County Planning and Development”|
Contact Boone County Planning and Development Services with questions about getting your passport
Mike Salati, Sr. – Acceptance Agent
Wanda Cox – Acceptance Agent