BOONE, Iowa—A 53-year old Boone man has died from injuries sustained in a house fire in Boone in late September. Larry Barrett Jr. was rescued from the burning home on Sunday morning, September 23rd. Barrett’s wife Cindy was also rescued from the burning structure. Both victims were taken to the Boone County Hospital for initial treatment. Both were then transported to University Hospitals in Iowa City. Cindy Barrett was treated and was released. Larry Barrett Jr. has sustained serious burns to much of his body. The Barrett’s had been visiting Robert Melton and Linda Cleary, owners of the home at 1228 Boone Street the night of the fire. According to Boone Fire Chief Justin Adams, the fire occurred shortly after 3:00 AM. Working smoke detectors alerted Melton and Cleary, but fire fighters had to pull the Barrett’s from the burning home. A dog in the home also received aid from fire fighters with oxygen from a Pet O2 device donated by a local resident. A cat in the home did not survive the fire.